Guchi (White Croaker)
Japanese Name: Guchi
English Name: White Croaker
Season: Year Round
Characteristics: The body of the white croaker is elongate and compressed. Its head is oblong and bluntly rounded, and its mouth is somewhat underneath the head. Its white meat, weak texture, very agreeable flavour.
•4 Croakers cleaned (not filleted)
•One small onion
•1 tspn red chilli powder
•1/2 tspn tumeric powder
•1 tspn whole cummin
•4 cloves- one green chilli if desired
•salt to taste
•bread crumbs or semolina
1. salt and slit the fish in 3 places on either side (slit should be diagonal to the main bone) and keep aside for about 15 mins.
2. Put ingredients one small onion, 1 tspn red chilli powder and 1/2 tspn tumeric powder in a blender and blend to a fine paste.
3. Pat fish to remove excess water from salting, and apply the paste on both sides, stuffing some of the paste into the slits. Keep for 1/2 hr.
4. Take about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of semolina or bread crumbs, add freshly ground coarse pepper. Add 1/4 tspn of salt (if necessary) and then dip the fish in this mixture and shallow fry until crisp.
5. Squeeze fresh lemon juice and serve.